Sunday, September 02, 2007

Life is Random

Here's the thing about living in Austin- every day is a little random. I never know how the day will wind up. It truly is random, and I mean that in the best way. Take this weekend for instance. With Fridya wrapping up the new student orientation, I found myself once again having to get up too early to run tech for the event. Later that day Sarah and I premiered our movie "Welcome to Austin" (which I might put on U-Tube for you to watch) at the seminary wide dinner and it was very well recieved (much to my amazement). And then it was off to play kick-ball, we were supposed to be wraping up the season with a tournament. Our game was well under way when it started to pour rain, we wound up playing through the rain and beat the team to advance to the next round, however they called the next game on account of the rain and our summer league drags on... Saturday I helped someone move her stuff out a storage unit and into a U-Haul, had a brinch lunch thing with the other helpers, wound up kyacking with Amber (my new buddy), Abbey (another new student) and Ruby (Melissa's dog- who I was dog-sitting for the day). After that I wound up having dinner with Aron (the Hungarian Ecumenical student for the year) and then Kaci (another new student) joined us and we went and played putt putt and drank Hungarian wine out of snow cone cups. Today I went to two different churches, UPC in the morning and the Lutheran (ELCA) University Church in the evening. In between I went to lunch with some of my classmates (primarily the ones listed above) and later went to the gym with Melissa to swim. I also ran into a couple of my professors and one of their dogs.... Oh and tomorrow, I am getting up at 5am to go volunteer at the Austin Triathlon... AND in two weeks I am flying to Oklahoma (where I have never been before) to preach a sermon for theological education Sunday, like I said, random.

Anyways, I wanted to share one of the prayers from the service tonight that we prayed. I thought it was fitting as it is entitles "Prayer for Beginning the Academic Year"
O God of every time and all beginnings, we ask your blessing on this new academic year. As we enter into times of study and pursuit of knowledge, grant to us your spirit of wisdom and understanding. As we accept shortened times of leisure and seek to avoid laziness and other obstacles to learning, grant us your spirit of perseverance and good counsel. As we open ourselves to new opportunities and relationships, grant us your spirit of acceptance and love. Bless this time of new beginnings, so that all we do from this time forward serves as a proclamation of your cocmpassion and peace, even Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Well, blessings to all as the new (school) year is upon us. Take care.

PS- My cousin Megan is back in the hospital again, she has pnemonia in her one remaining lung. Please keep her and her family in your prayers. Thanks.

No comments: