Friday, September 14, 2007

Middle of September???

How'd that happen? Time is certainly moving most steadily forward- two weeks into the new semester and the calendar is filling up quickly with papers and projects and preaching and studying and trying to have some fun in the mix. I am flying to OK on Saturday to preach in Wewoka on Sunday- I have never been to OK so I am pretty excited about the opportunity. Actually, I think I will be heading to OK again in Nov for a conference one of my professors asked me to attend.
Taking an extra class this semester is making life a little more interesting. On Thursdays I have four classes. Thankfully, they are all ones that I am enjoying so far- all though it makes for a long day.
In my Eucharist class our professor gave us all loaves of bread that his wife (who is a pastor at a local church) made for us. Its the bread they use at their church. It is very good- both in taste and as an element host- breaks easily, good density, little crumbs-
I think though my favorite classs by far is the Call to Ministry class. We are looking at the theology of vocation- what it means to be called. Today we looked primarily at Gregory of Nazarene's appology (which talks very seriously about what it means to be a minister). Prior to this, we have been sharing in one another's call stories as well as various ones through out the Bible that resonate within our lives.
I also am enjoying Pastoral Counseling- we did some role playing today and discussed different types of listening and trying to be with the person in the midst of his/her story.

Other than that, I have been doing lots of reading, some training for my upcoming triathlon, have seen the movie "3:10 to Yuma" (very good by the way) and went with Sarah Feltman and some other ladies to a free pampering session that she had won when she bought her wedding dress. It was kind of fun (and kind of weird).

That's really it for me. My friends Tom and Allison had their baby on Tuesday- a little girl, Laura Katherine, 8lb, 3oz. I can't wait to meet her in Deccember.

All right- do you feel sufficiently updated?? Next Wednesday is the International Talk Like a Pirate Day- wooo hooo and on SUNDAY the HURRICANES play their first PRESEASON game.... YES HOCKEY SEASON IS UPON US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CANES!!!!!!!!

ok, really, I'm done now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carrie! A belated happy birthday to you. My insane summer is flowing into September, so the excuses continue for why nothing else is getting done here. But, enough of that. Sounds like your semester is off to an excellent start. Travel safely to OK. I was only there as an infant, so don't have any memories of that state. Looking forward to hearing of your experiences there. Believe it or not, the Duke rowing team w/Elizabeth is going to OK City for a race Oct 13 - you are setting some sort of trend by going to OK I suppose. Hope your cousin Megan is doing better. Take care. Love from Durham, MZM