Hi all-
So, in addition to this being the time of Lent, my (usually brilliant) professor of my Entry into Ministry class, a Mr. Rev. Dr. Michael Jinkins, is requiring that through the month of March (and the tail end of February to be specific) that we are to wear clergy shirts with collars. We are to wear these shirts anytime we are in public places, or in other words, any time I leave my apartment. I am not entirely sure of the reasoning behind this specific length of time, but however, four days in, am beginning to get a little comfortable with it. A very little. I will try and get someone to take a picture this week and will put it up for the amusement of all.
Anyways- I will come back to the collar in a moment but want to take a minute to tell you about one of the things I did yesterday. You see, my apartment is full of stuff- a lot of it I don't need. So, in an effort to begin the whole reduction process (and in early preparations for moving) I decided to get rid of some stuff. I packed up three bags of clothes- including some presbytery t-shirts I never thought I would have parted with, a bag of DVDs, a box and two bags of books and an additional bag of random things to take to Goodwill and Half-Price Books (the media stuff).
Now- I went to Half-Price books first, I figured that if they didn't accept the stuff, then I could give it to Goodwill- my intention was to rid my apartment of just some of the stuff I have. Anyways- these people at Half-Price are pretty brilliant in some ways. Once you go all the way to the back of the store to drop off the stuff you are selling (or essentially giving away) they hand you a ten percent off coupon and tell you it will be about 20 minutes before they can make you an offer on your books/dvds/etc. Brilliant. So, for a person who loves books like I do- this was not a good thing. When it came time to leave, I wound up paying them about four dollars (I sold them over 50 items for a mere 21 dollars and bought four books and a reusable bag in return).
Now I mention all of this because one of the books I bought was A.J. Jacob's "The Year of Living Biblically." Its his memoir of his (and he considers himself agnostic, a secular Jew) attempt to live faithfully by the laws of the Bible. I also bought two poetry books (TS Eliot's "The Waste Land and other Poems" and "Selected Poems and Letters" by Emily Dickinson) and "Credo" by William Coffin.
So now, I have been reading for pleasure this weekend instead of my boring Justice book for class- perhaps not the best decision of my academic life- but certainly more enjoyable.
Anyways- I have decided, in the spirit of A.J. Jacob's book, to chronicle my experience of wearing the collar over the next month, if for no other reason, it might help write the paper that is due at the end of the experience, and if I am lucky- will entertain you or perhaps, will offer some insights that I don't know yet.
Sound all right?
Well then, since I have already written a way too long introduction to this, I will briefly sum up the first four days of collar wearing now. The first day, Thursday, I did not leave my apartment until it was time to go to class. I met Melissa downstairs and we walked together the short walk to McMillan. I couldn't stop giggling every time someone stared at me- which was pretty much everyone I walked past. In class, I was very aware (and I still am) of the very stiff neck collar that's presence is made known anytime I move my head, I played/fidgeted with it a lot). So far- the only people to comment on it are other seminary folks- usually in joking form (ie. Ann Fields calls me Rev. Mother and several people have made jokes about feeling the need to confess). Other than me being slightly uncomfortable with the shirt on- in the sense that I don't really know if I have earned the "right" to wear the collar, there only two other things I have observed thus far. 1) People are a lot more polite to me- esp. the staff at Freebirds- I got lots of "ma'ams, which is not typical. and 2) I am a lot more aware of my actions and my "presentation" even down to how I walk, because of the significance of the collar and the assumed perceptions of those who are staring at me, I think I am smiling more, just to be polite.
It's all kind of weird. There are a few quotes that I want to share from my new books, but I think I will do that in a separate entry- this one has gone on long enough. And stay tuned for more collar updates- who knows what this month will bring.
Thanks and take care!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment